Puppy Shopping Checklist
Below are some of the items you should consider when preparing for your new Moss Creek Goldendoodle puppy. You will not need everything listed before your puppy arrives - this list is intended to help you consider all your puppy's basic needs. You can print this and take it with you when you are shopping for your new puppy.
- Paper towels - a lot of paper towels. : )
- Nothing in the crate for the first few weeks. Then use old towels. Once puppy is reliably crate trained, a "real" crate bed can be used.
- Old Blanket or Towel (s) to cover wire Crate.
- Ear cleaning/drying solution. Cotton balls for cleaning ears.
- Acrylic (Fake) Nail file, cardboard with sandpaper type, for smoothing nails, if desired.
- Hydrogen Peroxide - to induce vomiting, if necessary.
- 100% Pure canned Pumpkin (from the baking isle of your grocery store) Pumpkin is a good source of fiber. When puppy has diarrhea or constipation, a tablespoon or two with every meal for several days should help alleviate symptoms. Freeze excess in ice cube tray.
- Baby Gate (s) - Try baby supply stores and Target - generally more choices and cheaper than pet stores (Beware that horizontal bars provide a foot-hold for climbing puppies. Also consider spacing between bars, as some times it is large enough for little puppies to get caught).
General from your Pet Supply Store
- Nature's Miracle (gallon size) or similar stain/odor neutralizer.
- Bitter Apple (bitter taste deters dogs from biting, licking and chewing.)
- Poop Scooper & bags.
- Food and water bowls (stainless steel or ceramic, no plastic.)
- Storage bin for dry food - air tight.
- Adjustable Nylon collar w/plastic clasp. 8 - 12 inch size for Large and medium Goldendoodle puppies. Smaller for mini-small Goldendoodle puppies.
- I.D. Tag - See boomerangtags.com for their flat collar tags for adjustable collars. They also sell collars with tags included for the smaller sized dogs. You can also make them yourself at PetSmart or PetCo.
- 6 foot leash
- 15 foot or longer (up to 50 foot) training leash.
- Wire Crate for crate training - Double door folding crate with divider. Check out the Crate Shopping page for the crate we use and recommend. Medium - Standard sized Goldendoodles need at least a 42 inch crate - If you have room, get the 48 inch. Doodles sleep stretched out like frogs. They like a lot of room to be comfortable. Small Doodles can use a 36 inch crate.
- Car harness that snaps into the seat belt or the doggy hammock
Food, Treats and Vitamins
- Puppy Food - Life's Abundance Premium Health Food for Puppies and Adult Dogs. We love this food! Our puppies are doing really well on it and our adult dogs love it. It's a holistic food. The puppies are eating the dry food. You cannot purchase this food in a pet store. It must be ordered online or by calling Phone: 877-387-4564 Hours 8:00 AM to 7:00PM EST Please use my ID Number: 20005984 when calling Life's Abundance directly. Read more about Life's Abundance Food on our Life's Abundance page.
- Puppies don't need a lot of treats. Until they are a little older - 12 weeks - treats can upset their stomachs and cause diarrhea. It's best to treat them with pieces of their dog food and lots of praise.
- Order your puppy's NuVet Vitamins. Your puppy will start them at 6 weeks old. You cannot purchase these at the pet store, you will need to order them online. Visit our NuVet Vitamin page to order online or call 1-800-474-7044 order code - 4576151.
Good Chews and Toys
- Medium or Large Kong Toy
- Stuffed Dog Toys w/ squeakers
- Balls (squeaky rubber balls)
- Rope toys (e.g. Booda bones)
- Sterilized bones or bully sticks for chewing
- Nylabone Keys and Dinosaur for chewing
- Pin Brush
- Medium tooth Comb
- Blunt tipped curved blade scissors
- Toothbrush Kit
- Puppy Shampoo
- Puppy Conditioner / Grooming Spray
- Ear Wash solution See the Puppy Care Info page
- Plier-style nail clippers w/nail guard
- Blood Stop Powder - Kwik Stop
- Poochie-Bells to hang by back door. Helps with house training - they learn to ring the bell to alert you that they need to go out. We order our bells from Poochie-Bells. I highly recommend them for house training your new puppy. Order them on our Chomps Products page.
- Ownership & Training books recommendations include: "The Dog Listener", "Puppies for Dummies", and many more... See the Books page.
- Start shopping for Obedience classes
- Lots of Love and Patience :)